Oct 17, 2006

me•tas•ta•sis /metástesis/ n. (metastasizing v.)


1. the transference of a disease, etc., from one part or organ to another.


Long after the guise of employment and welcome at the cramped apartment had dissipated, the guest began baking things daily and becoming increasingly creative with their placement. I would often come home from work famished, wanting only a hard boiled egg only to find them all gone, used in the most recent batch of tasteless cookies which I'd later find in my shirt pockets or folded into my clean underwear. This time, as I emptied the crumbled goods into the trash I could feel her gaze on my back. It was coming from the gap between the doors of the armoire. She had begun
metastasising from room to room as to complicate the arithmetic of her overstay and I couldn't remember her name or when she had gotten here.

No comments: